Blow-You-Away Service? Believe It.

I’m a nut about good customer service.  I strongly recommend 1st Choice AMS, the great people at Jimmy Johns on Alpine Hwy in Lehi, and now I have a new fave as well.

My good friend Jonathan and I went to lunch today and chose the American Fork Olive Garden as our spot.  There’s a story behind that.  But one thing at a time.

We got there, got right in, had to wait maybe ten seconds, and our cheerful waitress Laura showed up and gave us a thorough rundown of the menu.  Mentioned some new stuff there.  Pointed out a couple things.  She was professional.  We ordered the soup, salad and breadsticks, which is what I go there for, and Jonathan got the spinach-artichoke dip as well.  She told us it would be about 7 minutes, and asked if we wanted our other stuff first.  We did.

She was back in about 2 minutes with the other stuff.  Cheese on top?  Don’t mind if I do.  I love the Toscana, and Jonathan is into the Gnocchi, so we munched on that and the breadsticks and generally, Laura was right on top of us the whole time.  She was within one minute of her prediction on the dip, too.  Which was also excellent.

We were never without breadsticks – one of my pet peeves about Olive Garden is that I run through the breadsticks too fast.  Not too fast for Laura, apparently.  Clearly, it was not her first day on the job, but she also went out of her way to make sure we were having a good time.  And we told her we noticed that.  We like to do that; I believe that if you praise something, you get more of it, and if you criticize something, you get less of it, generally speaking.  So we told her she was doing a great job, because she was.

Then we get the bill.  And inside it is this:

Okay, NOW I’m going to have to see the manager, who was Darren today, and tell him how impressed I am with Laura (and, frankly, I shouldn’t forget Colleen, either), and that she’s underpaid.  So he comes out, and we chat, and he tells us she’s getting free dessert for making us so pleased.  We part amiably, then Jonathan pulls out two gift cards to pay.

“Know where I got these?” he asked me.

“No,” I said.

“From right here,” he said.

This Olive Garden was hit by a car just last Friday.  It went through the wall into the bathrooms and could have seriously injured a huge number of people (fortunately, it didn’t).  Of course, the restaurant was then closed for repairs.  But during the closed period, while they were furiously rebuilding, anyone that came to Olive Garden to eat, and had to be turned away, was met in the parking lot by the waitstaff, who thanked everyone graciously for coming, then gave them gift cards to let them know how much the restaurant appreciated them coming there, even if they couldn’t now get a meal.  I bet the restaurant even paid the staff to be there, which is a huge deal for many of them.

Unbelievable.  Service like this, appreciation like this, even the very tiny act of giving the waitstaff little cards on which they could write thank-you notes to the patrons are signs of a truly exceptional business.  Everyone there deserves applause, and a great share of our patronage now and into the future.

Go see for yourself.

13 Responses to “Blow-You-Away Service? Believe It.”

• When I worked at Great Harvest we had a cork board int he office where we all wrote notes to each other praising good work, help, whatever we thought of. At the end of the month they drew a “Way To Go” and both the giver and receiver got … actually I don’t remember what the prize was. But that board was always full.

• superbeets says:

This information is priceless. Where can I find out more?|

• I really wanted to post a message to be able to appreciate you for the magnificent ways you are placing on this website. My incredibly long internet look up has now been recognized with professional suggestions to go over with my family and friends. I ‘d state that that many of us readers are quite fortunate to live in a good community with very many outstanding professionals with great solutions. I feel quite lucky to have seen your entire web pages and look forward to plenty of more amazing minutes reading here. Thanks a lot once again for everything.

• bape hoodie says:

I together with my pals have already been taking note of the good tips located on your website and quickly got an awful feeling I had not thanked the blog owner for those secrets. My men are already for that reason excited to read all of them and have in effect really been taking pleasure in them. Appreciation for turning out to be quite considerate and for finding these kinds of fantastic guides most people are really wanting to discover. Our own sincere apologies for not saying thanks to earlier.

• Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an extremely breathtaking chance to read critical reviews from here. It really is very brilliant and jam-packed with a lot of fun for me and my office colleagues to visit your website not less than thrice per week to see the latest secrets you will have. And of course, I’m also usually astounded with all the eye-popping points served by you. Selected 3 ideas on this page are particularly the most efficient we have ever had.

• I wanted to put you the tiny word to be able to say thanks a lot the moment again regarding the extraordinary information you have shared on this page. This is seriously generous with you to offer publicly what a number of people would’ve advertised as an e book to help make some profit for their own end, primarily given that you might have tried it in case you wanted. These suggestions additionally served to be a great way to fully grasp other people online have the same interest just as my very own to realize great deal more pertaining to this issue. I know there are many more pleasant times in the future for many who scan your blog.

• yeezy says:

My wife and i felt satisfied Emmanuel could do his inquiry by way of the precious recommendations he came across when using the weblog. It’s not at all simplistic to just happen to be offering ideas which a number of people could have been making money from. So we discover we’ve got you to thank for this. All the illustrations you made, the easy web site navigation, the relationships you help to instill – it’s mostly terrific, and it’s really making our son in addition to us feel that this theme is brilliant, and that is pretty fundamental. Thanks for all!

• I’m also writing to make you understand of the superb discovery my friend’s daughter gained reading yuor web blog. She noticed several pieces, not to mention what it is like to possess an amazing teaching spirit to let the rest with no trouble learn specified impossible issues. You actually did more than her desires. I appreciate you for delivering the valuable, safe, revealing not to mention fun guidance on your topic to Tanya.

• I and my guys were taking note of the excellent key points on your web page and instantly came up with a terrible suspicion I never expressed respect to the web site owner for them. The women were definitely for this reason happy to study all of them and have without a doubt been enjoying them. Many thanks for turning out to be so considerate and then for pick out certain impressive subjects millions of individuals are really needing to discover. My personal sincere apologies for not expressing gratitude to earlier.

• jordan shoes says:

My wife and i ended up being lucky that Michael managed to complete his investigation using the precious recommendations he obtained out of your web page. It is now and again perplexing to simply possibly be giving away strategies the rest could have been trying to sell. And we also take into account we now have you to thank for this. The main illustrations you’ve made, the easy site navigation, the relationships you will make it possible to instill – it is all superb, and it’s assisting our son and our family believe that the content is exciting, and that is unbelievably indispensable. Thanks for the whole thing!

• I am commenting to make you be aware of of the notable discovery my cousin’s princess undergone studying your webblog. She came to understand a wide variety of issues, with the inclusion of what it is like to have an excellent helping nature to have other people just completely grasp various tortuous subject matter. You undoubtedly surpassed her expected results. Thank you for showing those necessary, trusted, informative as well as cool guidance on this topic to Janet.

• kd shoes says:

I’m also writing to make you understand what a remarkable encounter my daughter experienced reading through your site. She came to understand such a lot of details, including how it is like to have an amazing helping heart to get certain people clearly understand specific tortuous issues. You truly exceeded visitors’ expected results. Thanks for rendering those warm and helpful, healthy, educational and even unique guidance on this topic to Gloria.

• Ozmmde says: