The system sucks, but the people…

The medical system is a disaster, especially from the financial side, as I detail here and here.  But there is one part of the system I have no complaints about, and that’s the people.

With only two exceptions, and those are colored by the “necessity” of uncovering abuse where it doesn’t exist, every single person we’ve dealt with has been absolutely great.  Professional, competent, kind, even gentle.

• The ER staff at American Fork Hospital were exceedingly gentle with Gabriel when they took care of him there.  He was distraught, it was late, everyone was tired, but they splinted his leg with great care, and when they pricked him for his line, they were supremely careful of him and tried everything to help him be comfortable.
  • The ambulance paramedics offered several things to help Gabriel be comfortable, and allowed Jeanette to ride with him to the hospital.  They were obviously sensible of the fact that this was a bad situation for us, and did what they could to make it better.
  • The Trauma staff at Primary Children’s Hospital could hardly have been more courteous or kind to us.  They were faster than advertised at nearly everything, and we ended up leaving there a couple hours sooner than I expected.
  • When it was time to go for Gabriel’s checkup after a week (yep, we’ve made it a week), instead of making us come all the way to upper downtown Salt Lake, they let us go to Riverton instead, about 30 miles closer to home.  They’ve given us suggestions for cleaning and de-smellifying the cast, which have been somewhat helpful.
  • When we were coming to pick up the bill from AF Hospital, because the lady knew we’d have to be quick about it, she offered to bring the bill to the curb and hand it to us instead of making us come in, so that we could get back to Gabriel faster.  This offer by itself tells you a great deal about the people that work there.

Our impression of the medical system has bee greatly altered by these and other experiences.  We know that as messed up as the system itself is, that it is staffed by people that are absolutely the best in the world at what they do.  More than that, they’re great people.  In the days that follow, when I am proposing possible solutions to the medical mess the country is in, I want to make very sure that I’m clear about one thing: I don’t blame the people that are inside the system.  Few to none of them have anything to do with how we got where we currently are, and it is entirely possible that some of them would be hurt in the short term by what I think we have to do to fix it.  Such is not my intent, but I don’t think that anyone is going to come out of this unscathed, anyway.

For now, a hearty thanks to all of the many people that have helped us by performing jobs for us that we cannot perform for ourselves.  We all thank you and are very grateful for you.

********

Gabriel slept in a bed in his old room last night, the crib having been dismantled.  He went to sleep far, far better than he ever has, and although he did wake up a couple of times (well, okay, six or eight times) between 12:30 and 4, he slept okay before that and after that.  I haven’t been home today, so I don’t have a report on how he’s done after that much sleep, but last night Jeanette and I did get more sleep than we have been getting, and in our own bed, too, so that’s not nothing.

Melatonin, in response to several recommendations, has been procured, and we’re going to give that a shot as well, and see if it helps him settle.

********

We got Gabriel up and sat him near the table.  It required four telephone books and two bungee cords, and I doubt very much if this arrangement would meet any federal safety standard, but as you can see, he loved it.  Halelujah, it was like having our son back again.

17 Responses to “The system sucks, but the people…”

• Pepper says:

The lady at the store said that if he seems groggy with a full pill of the melatonin it can of course be split. I don’t know if I communicated that properly to your son. It can also be put into food so he doesn’t have to swallow it. They had liquid of some other sleep aid, but it didn’t have melatonin in it, so this we thought would do better. And the sweet lady at the store says she hopes he feels better and gets more sleep soon!

• Pepper says:

And I agree – I am rarely treated better than when I have an issue where I am having to be involved with the “hands on” people involved in health care.

• yeezy boost says:

I am also writing to make you understand of the awesome discovery my cousin’s daughter went through reading your web site. She came to find numerous issues, which included what it is like to have an ideal helping nature to get the mediocre ones really easily fully understand several specialized subject areas. You truly exceeded our own desires. Many thanks for imparting these useful, healthy, edifying not to mention cool tips about this topic to Kate.

• golden goose says:

I’m also commenting to let you be aware of what a fantastic experience my wife’s child had going through your site. She came to find some details, including what it’s like to have an excellent helping nature to get most people with ease know just exactly selected grueling issues. You undoubtedly did more than people’s expected results. Many thanks for giving the essential, dependable, educational and in addition unique thoughts on this topic to Jane.

• golden goose says:

I enjoy you because of all your valuable work on this web site. My daughter takes pleasure in getting into investigations and it is obvious why. My spouse and i know all relating to the compelling medium you offer simple tricks via the blog and therefore cause participation from other people on that concern so our own daughter is in fact being taught a great deal. Enjoy the remaining portion of the year. You have been doing a pretty cool job.

• curry shoes says:

I want to show my passion for your kind-heartedness giving support to individuals who should have help with in this niche. Your special dedication to getting the message all through had been exceedingly useful and has always empowered men and women just like me to achieve their dreams. The insightful instruction implies a lot a person like me and far more to my office workers. Thanks a ton; from all of us.

• bape hoodie says:

I am just writing to make you be aware of what a useful experience my cousin’s child found reading your site. She discovered a lot of pieces, which included how it is like to have a very effective coaching mood to have a number of people smoothly fully understand some problematic subject matter. You really surpassed people’s expectations. Many thanks for providing these powerful, safe, revealing not to mention unique tips about that topic to Emily.

• Thanks for every one of your effort on this site. My mum really likes managing research and it’s really obvious why. My spouse and i hear all of the compelling manner you render functional guidance via this web blog and encourage contribution from some others on that issue then our own princess is really discovering a lot. Take pleasure in the rest of the new year. Your conducting a brilliant job.

• kd 12 says:

I am glad for writing to make you be aware of what a outstanding discovery my cousin’s child gained reading your blog. She noticed so many things, which included how it is like to possess a very effective giving style to let many others really easily have an understanding of a variety of tricky issues. You undoubtedly surpassed readers’ expected results. Thanks for delivering the beneficial, healthy, educational and fun guidance on your topic to Tanya.

• curry 6 says:

I want to get across my respect for your generosity giving support to those who absolutely need assistance with this question. Your very own commitment to passing the message all over had been incredibly invaluable and has constantly enabled men and women like me to get to their desired goals. The important advice means much to me and still more to my peers. Warm regards; from all of us.

• Thanks so much for providing individuals with an extraordinarily terrific opportunity to discover important secrets from this web site. It’s usually so good plus full of a good time for me personally and my office co-workers to visit your website a minimum of three times weekly to study the new secrets you will have. And lastly, I’m always pleased considering the terrific points served by you. Certain two ideas in this article are absolutely the most efficient we have all ever had.

• I precisely needed to thank you very much all over again. I do not know the things that I could possibly have created without the actual ways discussed by you concerning such a subject. It had been a traumatic case in my view, nevertheless looking at the professional style you dealt with that made me to jump for gladness. I will be grateful for the help and as well , believe you know what a powerful job you happen to be carrying out teaching many others via your blog. More than likely you have never got to know any of us.

• I want to express some appreciation to the writer just for rescuing me from this particular condition. As a result of checking through the world wide web and obtaining ideas which were not productive, I figured my life was well over. Existing without the presence of answers to the issues you have sorted out by means of the post is a serious case, and the ones which might have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I hadn’t come across your site. Your actual mastery and kindness in dealing with a lot of things was crucial. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come upon such a solution like this. I’m able to at this time look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for your professional and result oriented help. I will not be reluctant to endorse your web blog to any person who should receive guidelines on this issue.

• I’m just writing to let you know what a exceptional discovery my wife’s daughter had browsing your site. She noticed too many details, which include how it is like to possess a marvelous giving style to let many people without problems know various very confusing issues. You undoubtedly surpassed our expected results. Thanks for rendering the useful, safe, revealing not to mention cool tips on your topic to Tanya.

• Thank you so much for providing individuals with an extraordinarily superb chance to read critical reviews from this blog. It can be so pleasing and as well , packed with fun for me and my office co-workers to search your web site the equivalent of three times in one week to read through the latest secrets you will have. And lastly, I am usually happy for the impressive tactics served by you. Some two tips on this page are indeed the most impressive I’ve had.

• I must show my gratitude for your kind-heartedness supporting people who actually need help with this one concern. Your real dedication to passing the message across came to be particularly functional and have truly made ladies just like me to reach their endeavors. Your entire invaluable recommendations indicates a whole lot a person like me and further more to my office colleagues. Thanks a lot; from all of us.

• I happen to be writing to make you know of the exceptional encounter my child encountered reading your webblog. She discovered a good number of things, which include what it is like to possess a marvelous helping style to let many people really easily know precisely specific complex subject matter. You undoubtedly did more than my desires. Thank you for showing those important, dependable, edifying and unique guidance on this topic to Sandra.